When it comes to the cleanliness of a domestic area, there are many things that we need to take care of. From the drainage system to the garden area, we need to pay attention to each and every aspect. Like we know, every house, every building, whether small or big, is provided with a drainage system through which the sewage and other waste materials dispose of out to the sanitary sewer. It is a full planned network of pipes distributed throughout the building through which the wastewater is being passed. It is such constructed that the liquid waste disposed of in the house is easily transported out and away.
Let’s find out some of the reasons behind the Blocked Drains.
Causes of Blocked Drains explained
- Oil and fats disposed of the kitchen sink often get stuck to the inner surface of the pipes, and after days this repeated oil collection ends up in blockage.
- Sometimes we dispose of sanitary pads, wipes, hairs and many other things in the drains which also contribute to blockage. Here it is important to note that drains only carry liquid waste and these things should be disposed of properly in a dustbin, not in drains.
- The tree roots also damage the drainage system by breaking and crushing and growing inside them contributing to blockage.
- Leaves and other debris are also one of the main reasons. They keep on blocking the drains at the same rate.
- Insoluble food waste which is thrown into the kitchen-sink often leads to the blocked
These are some of the main causes associating with the blockage of the drains and it is very important to know how to get rid of these bad and irritating situations.
So here are some of the tips to clean a Blocked Drain.
- Make your own homemade unblocking mixture by using baking soda, vinegar,and water. It’s very easy, eco-friendly and effective and will be a hassle-free task.
- Start this procedure by pouring some boiling water in your drain.
- Then pour ½ cup of baking soda and keep it undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Next, make a solution of 1 cup vinegar with 1 cup hot water. Pour the same in the drain and keep it undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, pour some boiling water so as to flush away the dirt.
- Liquid drain cleaners are also very effective when it comes to clearing a blocked drain. You can purchase them from your nearby market; you can even purchase them online. The drain cleaners contain strong block removing agents and chemicals make sure to use it carefully as instructed. These cleaners are very effective but can damage the old pipes. You just need to pour the liquid down into the drain and leave it undisturbed for a few minutes.
- Using powder-based cleaners to unblock the pipes are also a good way to go through. They work very quickly as compared to liquid drain cleaners. These are easily available in the market and they are affordable too. Before using this powder, you need to pour some hot water into the pipe and then pour the powder. Let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse by using hot water.
- You can use a wire, making a hook at one end. Push the hook end into the blocked pipe, twirl it and then pull it slowly. This will help you to take out the dirt from the pipe.
- Using drain strainers is one of the best methods you can do to clear a blocked drain. Prevention is always better than cure. So, try to place strainers in your every drain. This will definitely help to prevent the waste materials from entering into the drains.
Now, while passing out the wastewater through the drains, sometimes it gets blocked and which in turn gives rise to odor. Those are some of the easy and effective methods that one can use for clearing a blocked drain. These methods are not just harmless but quite affordable too. Regular cleaning of the drainage pipes is always beneficial.